Books And Resources
You are not alone in your struggle for answers or your grief. The following list of resources may be able to provide some information and comfort as you make important decisions for your pet.
If you feel you would benefit from individual counseling, please contact Dr. Goldberg. She provides individual consultations and can connect you with licensed professionals who are able to provide more extensive services to support you through difficult decision making, grief at any stage, or bereavement after the loss of your pet.
It is normal to feel overwhelmed. Whole Animal is here to make sure you get the support you need.
Listed here are a few of our favorites:
- Being Mortal, Atul Gawande
- Goodbye, Friend: Healing Wisdom for Anyone Who Has Ever Lost a Pet, Gary Kowalski
- Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die, Jon Katz
- Grieving the Death of a Pet, Betty Carmack
- Kindred Spirit, Kindred Care: Making Health Decisions on Behalf of Our Animal Companions,
Shannon Fujimoto Nakaya, DVM
- The Last Walk, Jessica Pierce
- The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, Sogyal Rinpoche
Favorite Children’s Book
Pet Loss Support Resources
- Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement
- Cornell University Pet Loss Support Hotline
- Local Support Groups
- Pet Loss Professionals Alliance
Relevant links are located in corresponding sections of this website – i.e. hospice organizations are linked within the hospice section, social work organizations are linked within the social work section. If you are looking for something and need assistance, please contact us.
Other Respected Professionals and Collaborators
Hospice and Palliative Care
- Courtney Bennet, DVM & Nathaniel Cook, DVM: Heart’s Ease Veterinary Care
- Jennifer Douthwaite, DVM: Mockingbird Veterinary Housecalls
- Karen Randall, DVM: Solace Veterinary Hospice
- Cheryl Thorpe, DVM, CVA, CVPP: Sage Veterinary Services
- Michael Kiselow, DVM, DACVIM (oncology)
- Catie McDonald, DVM, DACVIM (oncology), DACVR (radiation oncology)
- Sandra Brackenridge, LCSW, BCD
- Kristin Buller, MA, LCSW
- Susan P. Cohen, DSW
- Linda Lawrence, LMSW
- Elizabeth Strand, PhD, LCSW